Monday, December 31, 2012

You' just won't get it, unless you've done it.


Amazing
I have been in half of the worlds oceans.
I have been to 4 out of 7 continents
And I have been to 16 different countries, 10 of which I visited for the first time with semester at sea.
I have stood in all 4 hemispheres of the globe at one time
I’ve kissed a fish and eaten chicken heart
I’ve seen poverty and wealth beyond what I could imagine
And I’ve seen happiness overcome many obstacles
I’ve travelled the route of the slave trade
I’ve been to the slave castles and dungeons of Ghana
I’ve travelled in a cruise ship up the Amazon River! Yes the A-m-a-zon (think finding nemo)
I’ve been to Universal Studios Leavensden, where ALL the harry potter movies were filmed.
I’ve had the worlds best waffles, chocolate and fries all in one country I never dreamed of going to
I’ve watched my friends make new friends with pirates from Sweden in Portugal
I’ve seen 1000 dolphins jump at once in the strait of Gibraltar
I’ve been sun bathing on a black sand beach at the base of an active volcano on an Island I didn’t know existed.
I’ve watched the sun rise and set on Table Mountain in Cape Town South Africa
I went to a Japanese garden in Argentina where the people spoke, Spanish, English, Japanese and French, maybe even a little Portuguese as well.
And I watched President Barack Obama get re-elected for his 2nd term in a hotel in Uruguay on Maldonado street (my mother's maiden name is Maldonado)
I got blisters the size of quarters in Rio 
And I’ve sunk my feet into the sugar like sand of Ipanema beach
I’ve seen the meeting of the waters on the Amazon, WHICH YOU CAN SEE FROM SPACE!
I’ve held a baby sloth, regretted it and learned
I’ve hiked to a waterfall in Dominica

I mourned the loss of a friend I never got the chance to know, Casey

And I have been elated to have cell phone service again!
But most importantly, I have lived.
Before leaving for Semester at Sea I felt like I had never done anything important or spectacular in my life. I took the easy route, and I doubted myself all the time. 

“You’re not good enough for that. You could never do that!”

I took a step back and realized I have done some great things and I should be proud of who I am regardless of any recognition I get or don’t. My life is amazing and it will continue to be because I choose for it to be grand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment